Skip to main content



It is a good idea to take out travel insurance. To ensure you can access the best insurance for your specific travel plans you should talk to the insurance company to check their policies for any health restrictions relating to pre-existing medication conditions or extra fees. 


Air travel can be very dehydrating, so drink enough fluid to avoid dehydration.

It is important to be aware of the risk of deep vein thrombosis while flying. Most airlines will have information on exercises to do whilst in flight. This is especially relevant if you have mobility restrictions. You may like to purchase pressure stockings to help reduce swelling of feet and ankles. These can also be helpful while travelling for extended times standing or walking while sightseeing.

Sometimes there are long distances to walk between terminals at the airports. If necessary, you can arrange beforehand to access a hire scooter or manual wheelchair. You can discuss this with your travel agent. You may like to investigate taking your own small fold up scooter for long distances. The MSWA OT Department can help with some advice regarding these, telephone 9365 4888 or email us at

When booking your flights, you may like to check the seating arrangement on the plane and ask your travel agent, or check online, if you need special access to the toilets etc.


Ensure that you take adequate supplies of medication for your travel, especially to a foreign country.

If you are on injectable medication you may need to take the syringes in your hand luggage. Drug companies usually supply a small travel kit which contains a cool pack to keep the medication at the correct temperature. You can take the script, or obtain a letter from your neurologist, GP or MS nurse, to confirm that it is your personal medication and must be kept with you at all times.


If you travel to an area with a different climate to your home country, you may experience an increase in your MS symptoms. This could feel like a relapse. Be aware of the possibility that the symptoms are related to the climate, but if they are severe or if you are unsure, please contact a medical professional.


If you do experience a relapse while travelling seek medical intervention as soon as possible.

Check your travel insurance. You may have a brochure or phone number to call to check on your specific cover.

You may like to contact the Australian Embassy in the country you are visiting. You can get the contact details from your local accommodation, tourist information or online.


Every country has different requirements for vaccinations. Some vaccinations are not recommended with some of the MS treatments.  Speak with your neurologist or MS nurse for information.

If you are planning travel to a foreign country, you should contact your travel agent and/or GP in advance to ensure that you are adequately covered for the country you visit.

Show your support

With your support, MSWA are delivering real things to real people living with neurological conditions in Western Australia.

It is easy to show your support. You can buy a raffle ticket, a lottery ticket, even an entertainment book, or simply donate.

Find out more.