Please contact our Peer Support and Health Education Co-ordinator on 9365 4858 to access information on upcoming education seminars or events.
Carer Support Groups
A regular support group connecting carers of people living with MS.
Are you caring for a loved one?
The role of being a carer can be challenging and stressful. Monthly support groups are being offered to people living in the community who identify as a carer of someone diagnosed with MS.
Sessions are free to carers of MSWA Members and will be held at various locations in the Perth Metro region
This group will provide an opportunity to:
- Connect with others for practical and emotional support
- Obtain support and meet others in a similar situation
- Receive MS education and information
- Share ideas, management tips and techniques
- Explore coping with uncomfortable emotions
- Learn coping strategies and techniques such as stress management and relaxation
Places are limited. RSVP with your expression of interest to:
- Irene Gallagher (Senior Social Welfare Officer) on 9365 4858 or Irene.Gallagher@mswa.org.au; or
- Karen Brown (Counsellor) 9365 4808 or Karen.Brown@mswa.org.au
Fatigue Management Program
MSWA would like to invite you to attend their upcoming fatigue management group. This is an opportunity to learn strategies to best assist you to manage your energy efficiently.
The program aims to decrease the effects of fatigue by teaching ways of managing energy. It involves discussion, activities and homework assignments in a social environment.
The course has been beneficial for both newly diagnosed members and members who have had symptoms for many years.
This group will run for 7 weeks for 2 hours per week with course structure as follows:
- Session 1 - Introduction to sleep and MS
- Session 2 - The importance of rest
- Session 3 - Communication and body mechanics
- Session 4 - Arranging your activity stations
- Session 5 - Managing priorities and self-standards
- Session 6 - Balancing your schedule
- Session 7 - Course review and setting plans for your future
Dates and Locations:
- Currambine - 16 May to 27 June, Tuesdays from 10am - 12pm
- Wilson - 16 October to 27 November, Mondays from 10am - 12pm
Places are limited. RSVP with your expression of interest to Andrea O’Reilly on 9365 4871 or email@example.com
muMS Group - A shared space to talk about motherhood and MS
Are you expecting a baby in 2017? Have a new baby now? Or children under 10?
If you answered yes to any of the above, MSWA invites you to join our 2017 muMS group The group is for women who are living with MS and are mothers of young children and/or are pregnant.
The group will provide an opportunity to:
• Develop friendships with others living in/entering into a similar life stage
• Share and discuss concerns, thoughts and feelings
• Enjoy some well deserved time away from your parenting role
• Learn more about MS and how MSWA can support/assist you
• Learn new information related to pregnancy and parenting whilst living with MS
Newborns are welcome to the groups. Tea and coffee will be provided.
Time: Tuesdays, 10am - 12pm
Location: Swan House Meeting Room - Heathcote Reserve, 58 Duncraig Rd, Applecross
Date & Topic: May 16, MSWA Client Relationship Coordinator Christine Richards will attend as guest speaker to answer questions about the NDIS
- July 25
- September 19
- November 28
Future topics will be updated soon. Places are limited! Please don’t forget to RSVP with your expression of interest to Sarah Lorrimar at 9365 4858 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the growing number of people who are enjoying the many benefits from practicing mindfulness...
• Replenish and nourish yourself
• Increase focus and awareness
• Experience deep rest
• Gain awareness of the mind-body connection
• Explore the heart of self compassion
Sessions will include a combination of guided meditations, relaxation and mindfulness techniques. The classes are suitable for beginners and those who wish to deepen their current practice. Partners and significant others are welcome. Cost is a gold coin donation.
Dates and Locations:
- Rockingham - Thursday 1 June, Thursday 31 August, Monday 16 October from 10am - 12pm
- Armadale - Thursday 4 May, Thursday 20 July, Thursday 7 September, Thursday 2 November from 10am - 12pm
- Currambine - Thursday 18 May, Thursday 20 July, Thursday 21 September, Thursday 16 November from 10am - 12pm
- Mirrabooka - Thursday 15 June, Thursday 17 August, Thursday 19 October from 10am - 12pm
These programs are subsidised by MSWA funding for Members without individual funding through the NDIS.
Registration is essential, please RSVP to Sarah Lorrimar by email: email@example.com or phone: 9365 4858 indicating which session you would like to attend.